Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Spicy Vinegar of Haiti - Picklese (Pikliz)

Well, Mala aka knottie Eyecandy asked me for the recipe for picklese. So, I went to the source and I finally got the recipe from DH's Momma and a coworker. So, Mala let me know how your homemade picklese come out. I love this over some red beans and rice and with some chicken. It is very spicy, but good. I will post a pick of my homemade picklese very soon.


Ingredients
6 Scotch bonnet peppers
2 cups thinly sliced or shredded cabbage
1/2 cup thinly sliced or shredded carrots
1/4 cup thinly sliced or shredded onions
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon salt
8 to 10 peppercorns
3 cups vinegar


Snip off the stem of the peppers, cut each into 4 pieces, and keep the seeds.
Place hot peppers, cabbage, carrots, onion, cloves, salt, and peppercorn in a quart size jar. Then add vinegar.
Close jar tightly and let sit at least 24-48 hours before serving.

No comments: